Saturday, January 3, 2009

Buglers in the Civil War

These heroic men, Union or Confederate were in large part the foundation of any camp during the Civil War. They would provide entertainment, alarm services for duties, and relayed calls during battle. Buglers were generally associated with cavalry and artillery, while drums were with the infantry.

Gustav Shurmann known as "The Little Bugler" rode with several commanders, one was Daniel Sickles…which if you have followed my blog, you know I have a fascination for this man.

Gustav was only 12 years old when he started riding in the war. Buglers would ride alongside the commanders in battle, it was thought since the sound of the bugle carried so well…it was the best source of organization during battle. During the heat of battle, you could still hear the bugles play above the cannons and guns.

The letters from Union Sergeant William A. Smith, mention the buglers regularly. After reading the letters, I felt the buglers were the glue holding the men together and helped them get through each day whether battle or at rest.

Smith's Letter dated February 15th, 1862 with location Cape Girardeau, Missouri

My Dear Wife
I once more take my pen to address you a few lines to let you know that I am still on times side of Eternity, enjoying good health and I believe a reasonable mind, hoping you and the children are in good health.
…A man cannot die in a better cause….The Captain goes to Cairo by the first boat, to get our carbines….
(and he ends his letter) …The bugle is sounding 8 o’clock roll call, so good night.

No comments: