Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Letters From a Union Soldier

A friend gave me over 100 letters written by her GGGGrandfather during the civil war. The letters are addressed to his wife and take you from the opening of the war (first letter dated August 1861 ) through the end of 1862 (last letter dated November 29, 1862). He fell during the battle of Coffeeville, Mississippi on the 5th of December.

He started out in Camp Butler which was a large military training camp in Illinois. His spirits were high and he was honored and proud to be serving “Uncle Sam” as he put it.

It was obvious he loved his family, he wrote so often, full of hope great ideals.

4 comments:

Matt said...

I would really like to read the letters leading up to and including the battle of Coffeeville. I've a friend that researches this battle intently. Is there anyway to obtain copies?

Terri said...

Matt
I will be happy to help. I am sure it won't be a problem. Will get back with you. I can copy and send them to you.

Matt said...

Great! I am sure my buddy Don will be very glad to get any info of the 6th IL Cav in Mississippi. How do we exchange e-mail without necessarily posting them here? I will gladly reimburse any costs incurred (copy costs/postage,etc).

Coffeeville said...

Hi! Great information about Sgt. Smith. I heard about these letters ten years ago, and am very anxious to learn more. If these are the same letters, I heard about them being in Florida at one time.

Please contact me.

Don